Two questions we receive often are:
1. Is it possible to change a dog’s name after you adopt them?
Answer: You can absolutely change your dog’s name. Many people change the dog’s name to represent a fresh start for the dog, especially if the dog’s past was negative.
2. How do you teach dogs their name?
1. Go to a room that is quiet and low distraction
2. Say the name ONCE in a happy voice
3. When the dog looks at you, say “yes” to mark the behavior *
4. provide a treat and affection
5. Repeat steps
*can use a clicker in place of the word “yes” to mark the behavior.
Advance your training:
1. Practice Steps 1 – 4 in different rooms of your home
2. Slowly add distraction levels and locations for practice.
Watch our non-fancy, video to see the advanced training steps in action.